Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Wind by Monique Felix

Hey all, Charlotte here as a guest writer on this blog.  I've been taking a picture book class with Sungyeon and thought I'd share a bit of the critique I wrote for this adorable little book called "The Wind."  The story begins with a little mouse, who nibbles a hole through the pages of the book. . and from there, the adventure begins!
"The book does not use any text, but still manages to tell a compelling story.  I kept turning the page because I wanted to a) find out what the mouse was making and b) find out what else he would have to face through the “hole” in the page.  I think the story is effective because the illustrator was able to convey the mouse’s emotions and motivations through dynamic facial expressions and poses.  The gutter was also used in the storytelling by creating a divide between the mouse and the world he wants to join.  He only crosses over at the very end, when he finally has wings of his own.    

I greatly enjoyed this book and often go back to it when I feel “stuck” in creating diverse compositions.  It’s a sweet story with huge crossover appeal."

I also later discovered that Monique Felix created several similar books which you can see here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568460805/sr=1-8/qid=1145836034/ref=sr_1_8/104-2060973-1104714?_encoding=UTF8

I'm going to be honest. . I want to collect them all now ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Charlotte, this is a great fun book and I didn't know that there are so many similar books. It must be very successful. I would love to check out other books and I fell in love with a smart mouse.

    ReplyDelete